Saturday, March 12, 2011

One More Pre-Spring Break Update

Sitting on the mrt. I'm on my way to check into the hotel and wander little India waiting for the guys. They had to change flights (carriers actually) because of the earthquake, they are goin to Korea instead of Japan. They're flying here via Singapore air. I read and heard they only have business and first class, they're super fancy and corporate! It's pouring outside, bad thunderstorm. But no earthquake effects. Singapore is pretty much protected from most natural disasters due to it's location in hr middle of many larger islands and shallow seas.

So last night we went out to the Escapade to watch our good friend (phd vulcanologist) sing with the summertime jazz band as the opening act for a two week festival called mosaic music festival. She was amazing!! There was about 8 of us, screaming and cheering but the crowd loved her and her voice was perfect for the music. I posted Facebook videos if anyone's interested. One fun thing about living in the city, they do stuff like this all the time :) there's always something going on. We hung out in marina bay for a couple more hours having snacks and beer, it was a great night and good spring break starter. 



At the hotel now, checked in. It's very nice, the room has a regular bathroom and shower but an interesting bed set up. There are three of us, so three single beds. The room is 2 "levels" a bottom level to get to the bathroom and a raised level by only 3-4 stairs with the three mattresses on the floor. Different, but very cool. We are in the heart (not the tourist part) of Little India. I do have to say, it is quite fun confusing the locals. I was starving and went to get some good tandoori. The Cricket World Cup is on, India is KILLING South Africa (if I'm following the game right lol) so all the local food joints are packed. Everyone gave me looks when I sat down at a local place (and not the 100 tourist places down the street). I ordered and ate with my hands and there were looks of awe. Its kind of entertaining. The waiters kept wanting to know if I was there to watch the match and if I understood anything. 


Okay, off to take a nap before the 1am airport pick up: )

No comments:

Post a Comment