Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fashion and Weddings

So, as a bride to be who cannot be even in the same continent as her wedding, its making my want to talk about wedding stuff get even worse. So I decided to talk to my Chinese teacher about weddings in China! As classes here are literally back to back, (ie class lets out at 330 but your next one starts at 330), I don't have class before Chinese so I always show up 10 minutes before everyone else and we talk about traveling and cultures.

We had a quiz coming up where we had to prepare speeches to recite, mainly about ourselves, and I wanted to learn to say fiance instead of nan pengyou (boy friend) to be more accurate. There is no Chinese word for fiance. There is boyfriend and husband and that is it. She explained to me, in an interesting way, that when China was formed, "I mean, you know, Mao, and the cultural revolution", they decided to make life simpler and get rid of some of the traditions, which were only there as formalities and complicated lives. Engagements and proposals were two of those traditions that were thrown out. When a couple decides they want to get married, they go to the court house, sign papers, and that is that. There is no "Will you marry me?" proposal moment, no parties to celebrate, though she did say after the marriage the families will have a big dinner together. Its just a cut and dry kind of thing, no real excitement and romance in the sense that we in the US treasure. My professor grew up in Central China, but spent alot of her life in Hong Kong. This is where she met her husband. She told me in order to get married in Hong Kong, you must go to the courthouse and sign the papers AND go to a lawyers office as a witness to an exchange of rings. They only do ring exchange in Hong Kong. She said her and her husband ran to the store and bought cheap ones which they used for the exchange only and never wore again. She told me the more recent generations (She was born during the cultural revolution when Mao was still around) have brought back some of the traditions. As a country, China is considering bringing back some of the traditions that the people like, such as an engagement and formal wedding ceremony.

I knew the exchange of rings wasn't a worldy concept, but even in places where they do its not the same. I learned here from my Mexican friends that the wedding band goes on the right hand. There was an awkward moment with an exchange student who didn't realize that in the US, we rep the bands on the left hand, and that was why I had my ring on. But no harm done, just another learning experience!

I've been shopping here a couple times and whenever I go, I do find things to wear. The clothing here, minus the super expensive Gucci-like designer stores, the clothes here are all made from cheap fabric and cheaply stitched, whether its a $5 shirt or a 30$ shirt. I feel like people here are more fashionable than in Daytona, which isn't really saying that much, but I am also in a HUGE city compared to Daytona so my fashion comparison is pretty much shot out the window. Now something I have noticed, in a way that I don't thinks its a fashion statement thing, is that the girls here wear much more feminine clothing than back home. Dresses are way more common, so are skirts and ruffles and pastel feminine colors. Another thing that is very popular here, like at home, is the straight leg jeans especially on guys and the large thick rimmed black eye glasses. Worn more for fashion than necessity, I've spotted lots without lenses which is just weird.... There aren't as many "brands" worn here though. I feel like at home, people where brands a lot instead of wearing certain types of clothing. And even if they don't, the brands are displayed. Most of the stores here might LOOK like chain stores, but its just some guys business. They all buy from the same factory, but instead of working together to create on franchise they all chose to be independent, so there's no local brands or symbols (Think the American Eagle eagle) or anything like that.

They do have a HUGE variety of jewelry and accessories here which is fun :) Its a bit sad, since everything is super cheap and wares easily, but I've found some nice things. There is a open section out in front of one of our canteens where student club vendors and local vendors come periodically and sell stuff or recruit for their club. I found a vendor who sold stone pendants. Alma and I were looking around, and I found a pretty white marble pendant that I liked. The vendor, an Asian in his 40s, told me that if I held it, I could feel the stones pulse. The stone send positive vibes when it was squeezed and could put people in a good mood. Then he asked if he could charge it. Sure, why not? So in the middle of the canteen, he held the stone in his hand, got this far away distance trance-like stare off behind us, and started swaying and chanting. ME and Alma just started at each other, a little embarrassed and very confused. He chanted out loud and some language for about 3 minutes and handed me back the stone. We thanked him and left.

Phuket, Thailand. Google Phang Nga Bay, that's where I'm going to do my big tour! I'm going solo, and splurging on a resort by the beach (still like $60/night only) at one of the most famous Thai beaches, and gong to ride an elephant in the jungle! woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment