Saturday, January 15, 2011

I have arrived!

Wow, what a long trip! Froze my butt off in my Florida attire standing in snow at Newark waiting for the airport shuttle, sat on the runway for almost 2 hours in Japan because our airplane had issues. And now I'm here. The flights went fine, minus the delay. Good food, good movies. We landed at 230am and I was in a taxi by 3am. The driver went to open the passenger door, what I thought was him being polite to open the door, but I had forgotten they drive on the other side and he was just getting in to drive. I told the driver my hotel was on Dickson road, and off we went. The airport was magnificent and beautiful. The taxi GPS computer would flash a DRIVE CAREFULLY!!!! sign whenever the taxi driver sped, which was interesting. The main highway circles around the main drag of Singapore, the largest of all the building and the city center for tourism. Singapore is known for its facade of perfection, so everything was clean and lit up beautifully. I saw the famous gigantic ferris wheel in the city center where the "seats" are full size dining rooms for a party of 6. We ended up Ductson Rd. and had a bit of trouble with communicating where I was going, but 40 S$ later I was at the hotel.

It a typical small Asian hotel room, the bathroom acutally being a walk in shower with a toilet and sink in it. So when I showered with the small amount of hot water provided, the toilet paper had to be protected and everything else, including towels, left outside the bathroom door or it would get wet and stuck on the flooded floor. I went out for a walk at 4am to stretch my legs and check out the surrounding. Apparently Singapore is party central, even on the drive here there were so many young men/women waiting in lines for clubs, drunk giggling and running around on the sidewalk and smoking cigarettes which are heavily taxed. As I walked down the road towards Little India, the distric my hotel is near, drunk college kids were stumbling and laughing out of taxis. I ate what would be described the closest as orange chicken and rice and an orange soda, straw of course.

I'm too wiped out to type anymore, its almost 6am and I need to rest. I'll be walking around and exploring the city center today, probably going to a museum and check out the local tourist attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment